As homeowners we all need to have an understanding about how our furnace works and the preventative maintenance required to keep our furnace working at peak levels and extend its lifespan. One of the most important routine preventative maintenance tasks you can perform on your furnace is to be sure your furnace filter is clean and changed out regularly. Here at South Nashville Heating & Cooling our team of professionals are on hand to assist with all your preventative maintenance needs.
Change Your HVAC or Furnace Filter Routinely
The benefits of changing your furnace filters monthly are many and include the following:
- Saves Money and Keeps Energy Costs Down– When your furnace filter is dirty and clogged with dust, dander and other particles your furnace is forced to work longer and harder to provide the comfortable home temperatures you need. Without changing filters regularly, you are apt to find yourself in need of a variety of heating repairs and services because of the increased demands put on your furnace. When your dirty air filter and furnace are working harder it causes your energy bills to increase. Clean filters help to reduce energy consumption, which ultimately saves you money. In addition, the lifespan of your heating system is reduced when not properly maintained, and that especially includes routine filter changes.
- Extends the Lifespan of Your HVAC System – One of the most common causes of a heating system breakdown is that of dirty, clogged air filters. When dirt, dander and other particles build up the air cannot pass through causing the system to, often times, overheat. When this happens, the motor has to work a whole lot harder and over time you will find it necessary to have it repaired. In some cases, if your heating system is very old, failure to replace your air filters regularly can result in having to invest in a whole new heating system.
- Provides Better Air Quality in Your Home – The primary function of an air filter is to reduce or minimize the amount of dust, dander and other particles or allergens that are circulating in your home’s atmosphere. Even the cleanest home falls prey to pollen, dander, dust, mold spores, and other allergens that can be detrimental to your home and family’s health and safety. If you fail to change your furnace filter regularly, all of these irritants listed above will continue to spread and contaminate the air quality in your home. Not only will you improve the functionality of your furnace and increase its lifespan, but changing your filters will provide all round better air quality in your living space.
Indicators That It Is Time to Replace your HVAC or Furnace Filter
Here at South Nashville Heating & Cooling our team of dedicated technicians want to offer insight needed for homeowners to recognize the need to change their furnace filters. Here are some of the common signs:
- A dusty odor or smell is present in your home;
- There is an increased amount of dust on or around your living space and air vents;
- Family members seem to be suffering more with coughs, congestion and breathing problems; and
- Your furnace seems to be kicking on more often, working harder and running longer than usual.
To keep your furnace working at peak levels, the team here at South Nashville Heating & Cooling highly recommends you change your furnace filter monthly. In addition, we recommend annual routine maintenance of your heating system by our team of skilled technicians in order to identify any existing problems, provide effective solutions and aid in extending the lifespan of your system.
The Professionals You Can Count On
For more information about preventative maintenance for your heating system, of if you are in need of top-rated HVAC products, repairs or services then we are the team for you. Simply give a shout out to one of the professionals here at South Nashville Heating & Cooling today. We look forward to providing you with the best all round HVAC products and services this side of Nashville!