We all enjoy and love the comfort of our central air conditioning systems. But what happens when all of a sudden you encounter a horrible smell? To begin with, whether that nasty smell is from a dirty air filter, old water in your HVAC system, or another cause, it definitely can compromise your health. That is why we here at South Nashville Heating and Cooling want to share with you a variety of toxic air conditioner smells and what they mean.
When most homeowners run into this problem the first thought that comes to mind is ‘could this horrible smell also be toxic?” There are surely a wide range of toxic air conditioner smells that can occur, which is precisely the reason why we want to provide all our valued Nashville clients with insight on some very common toxic smells, from burning odors and skunk like smells to rotten egg, sewage and chemical odors and the dangers they each present.
- Burning Odor – If you are noticing a burning odor there is a high probability that you may have a serious mechanical problem with specific parts of your AC system, such as the compressor, fan or electrical wiring. All of these can present with serious health problems if you are exposed to the odors for an extended period of time.
- ‘Skunk-Like Smell’ – In some cases, this odor can be the result of an actual skunk that may have made its home in your HVAC system’s ductwork. None of us delight in the smell of a skunk and surely this odor is not only unpleasant, but again poses threats to your health. In other cases, the skunk like smell can be that of a dangerous gas leak which, obviously, can pose threats to your health.
- Sewage Smell – This smell, more often than not, is the result of actual sewer backups that produce the methane smell. These odors are highly flammable, quite toxic, and extremely harmful to breathe and a speedy solution should be sought to avoid any hazards to your health or the overall safety of your home’s atmosphere.
- Chemical Odor – If you are noticing a smell similar to that of paint thinner, though there are a variety of fluids that are essential to the functioning of your HVAC system, it is possible you are experiencing a system malfunction wherein these fluids can result in a strong chemical smell. These chemical odors require the attention of our professional technicians right away to determine an effective and efficient solution.
- Rotten Egg Smell – Typically this smell is an indication of a gas leak in your home and requires immediate attention. When over exposure of gas takes place individuals can become dizzy and lose consciousness and in some extreme cases can result in death. In addition, this very same gas is highly flammable and explosive and can cause significant damage, health risks and again, even death, which is why it is so important to contact the professional technicians here at South Nashville Heating and Cooling to perform a thorough inspection of your system and identify the source of the toxic air conditioner smell.
- Exhaust Fumes – If you smell anything similar to exhaust fumes or burning oils, beware. These fumes can produce large quantities of toxic gases that deplete oxygen levels in the body and cause serious health risks.
If you notice any of these dangerous, toxic air conditioner smells then don’t waste a moment longer. Give a shout out to the experts here at South Nashville Heating and Cooling and let us provide you with an effective solution to your problem and ensure the health and safety of both your home and family. Contact us to schedule your AC system inspection and get rid of all those unhealthy, dangerous odors today.