Spring! It’s finally here! With the beautiful weather outside, many of us are looking to start spring cleaning! Okay, maybe we’re not looking forward to it, but it has to be done!
Before you start the spring cleaning process, checking your HVAC system is super important and often gets overlooked!
- Always check your air-conditioning and heating equipment before the beginning of a new season.
- Check and replace your furnace and air-conditioning filters every month. This is something I constantly forget to do! As you probably already know, there are several types of filters to choose from depending on your needs. Fiberglass filters only last a month while HEPA filters last up to six months and can be cleaned with a vacuum nozzle.
- Most air conditioners have a drainage hole on the base of the cabinet (beneath the evaporator fins). This hole needs to be kept clear in order for the air conditioner to work properly. It’s a good idea each spring to use a paper clip or wire to poke through the hole and clear it out.
- To keep your dehumidifier working properly, remove its housing and let the unit dry completely. Vacuum every accessible surface and crevice.
- Clean your bathroom fans yearly (at least). This means taking the cover off, washing it in soapy water and cleaning the dirt off the fan blades. Don’t forget – turn the power off before you do this!
- Replace the batteries in ALL of your smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors twice a year – during each of the time changes. This is just general safety!
South Nashville Heating and Cooling has been in business for over 30 years so you can count on us for all of your HVAC needs in Middle Tennessee! Whether your system just needs a checkup or you need an entire new unit installed, South Nashville Heating and Cooling has you covered! Give us a call today at 615-834-1636.