In the hot summer months, air conditioning is a necessity to most people. Common air conditioner problems could throw a wrench into your summer fun. Life can certainly be a bit more challenging, especially in sweltering temperatures, without a fully functioning air conditioning system. As we all know, the repairs to an AC system can certainly be quite costly which is why it is so important to keep your system in top notch shape by way of routine maintenance. It is also helpful to have knowledge about the more common air conditioning problems and effective and efficient solutions to combat them.
Our team here at South Nashville Heating & Cooling offers this list of some of the most common air conditioner problems that can occur:
Clogged or dirty filters
– You should be certain to change the filters on your AC system regularly. Whether monthly or every three months, whatever the manufacturer’s recommendations are, you should adhere to them. If your filters are reusable, then make certain to clean them regularly and remove any dirt and debris since dirty filters minimize the flow of air and can also contribute to your AC unit freezing.
Improper Use and Care of your Thermostat
– Ensuring that your thermostat is properly functioning, is clean and level, is not disrupted by direct sunlight, and is set to appropriate settings will contribute to a properly functioning AC system. Often times settings are inconsistent and thermostats are turned on and off repeatedly, both of which can present AC problems and also minimize the life span of your system.
Worn out or burned out fuses or breakers
– Fuses and breakers serve to safeguard your system’s motor and or compressor from excessive heat. If the motor overheats and becomes damaged or dies, more than likely the breaker or fuses needs to be replaced.
– Your AC cannot perform properly if you have a coolant leak. The temperature will not remain steady and the system is unable to perform adequately. The size and location of the leak will determine the overall cost for repair which is why it is so important to perform routine maintenance to your system annually and identify problems early on.
A failed compressor
– Since the compressor is responsible for cooling down the refrigerant and sending it through the coils to rid heat exchange, if it is not working properly your AC system cannot cool your home. If the system hasn’t enough refrigerant in it, the compressor will begin to overheat and eventually stop.
A clogged drain line
– Just like your system’s filter, the drain line can also become dirty and clogged with dust, lint, or other debris. When clogging occurs the drain pan gets filled up and causes a leak which ultimately results in damage to the AC unit.
Rusted or corroded evaporator coils
– The evaporator coils absorb heat in the air and return it back into your home as cold air. This air is passed through air ducts. If the evaporator coils become corroded your system will undoubtedly fail.
Dirty, clogged condenser coils
– Since these coils are located outdoors they can become quite dirty and clogged by the outdoor elements. You should get in the habit of cleaning them with your outdoor hose a couple times per year. If they become clogged or worn out, then your system cannot function effectively or consistently.
Burned out capacitors
– Your system has both a start and run capacitor. Without properly functioning capacitors your compressor and fan motors will not work. Often times they burn out causing your system to fail. Repairs to capacitors can be quite costly.
The folks here at South Nashville Heating & Cooling take tremendous pride in providing premier products and services to our valued clients, and that includes offering helpful insight, such as the common air conditioner problems listed above. With summer right around the corner now, it’s time to contact our professional team and schedule your routine maintenance or any necessary repairs to ensure that your AC system is up and running perfectly.
Our friendly professional technicians stand ready to serve you with your every need. Don’t delay. The sweltering summer days are just ahead of you, so take advantage of our affordable prices and attractive timelines now. We look forward to serving you and to providing you with all your HVAC products, repairs and services season after season!!